COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS (for on-campus learning)
HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS & STUDENTS
To mitigate the potential spread of COVID-19 to the best of our ability, the following are the procedures that are planned to be implemented during your child’s school day. Please understand these actions serve to mitigate, not eliminate, risks related to COVID-19. Also, the following procedures are subject to change at any time due to local or state regulations.
ALL PARENTS/GUARDIANS AND ANYONE OVER 10 YEARS OLD ARE TO WEAR A MASK WHILE IN THE SCHOOL BUILDING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
SCHOOL PHILOSOPHY REGARDING MITIGATION VS. CLOSURE
The school philosophy is to first implement practical mitigation policies and protocols at varying degrees to allow for effective and positive in-person/on-campus learning as long and as sustainable as safely possible. As a last option, school closures and/or moves to off-campus learning will be driven by staff shortages or local/ state regulations regarding positive COVID-19 cases or “outbreaks” in school areas, the entire school or in the local community.
Every Parent/Guardian is expected to monitor themselves and their student(s) for signs of illness every morning. Adults or students are not to come to school if they are ill.
- Priority Illness Symptoms -Having just 1 (one) of these symptoms requires staying home:
- If within 24 hours one has experienced:
- Fever (temperature of 100 degrees or higher)
- Vomiting or Diarrhea
- New or unexplained persistent cough
- Shortness of breath/trouble breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Started antibiotics for an illness
- Additional COVID-19 related Symptoms- Having a combination of at least 2 (two) of these symptoms requires staying home:
- If within 24 hours one has experienced a combination of:
- Muscle Pain
- Sore throat
- Runny nose or congestion
- Gastrointestinal symptoms
- Student seating in classrooms, the minimum goal is 3 feet apart (AAP guidance), doing so may enable students not to have to wear masks in the classroom once the Colorado Mandatory Mask Mandate ends.
- At a minimum, HS students will need to wear masks during entry and exit of the building, passing periods, in larger group settings and anytime there is not 3ft-6ft separation in the classroom. Students may wear a mask throughout the day if desired.
- Lockers will be spaced out.
- Lunch will look different. This will be a necessity for spacing and mitigation concerns. Current plan is MS eat for first 15 minutes inside while HS is outside, then swapping HS inside to eat and MS outside. Students will be distanced at tables.
- Hallway traffic flow may be coordinated to allow limited contact of grade levels or classes.
- Hand washing and Hand Sanitizing will be constantly important. We are working to have sanitizer stations in most areas and classrooms.
- Parents/Guardians and other adults will be required to wear masks while in the building until further notice
- Parent/Guardian meetings with teachers will be by appointment only during planning periods or before/after school.
- Parents/Guardians are to drop-off and pick-up students outside at the North entrance loading zone or parking lot.
- Initially, visitors will be discouraged to the building during the school day, with exception to conducting school business in the office.
- Events like Back to School Night, and Grandparents Day are being cancelled to avoid unnecessary large groups of multiple ages.
- Every Staff member is expected to monitor themselves for signs of illness every morning.
- Staff members are prepared to wear masks at most times on campus. After the end to the Colorado Mandatory Mask Mandate, exceptions to this may include when solitary in a classroom or office, when 6 feet or more from students while teaching in a classroom, when outside in a group with 6 feet of more separation.
- Regular cleaning of high contact areas will continue.
Every classroom and most common areas are serviced by a regularly maintained HVAC system that will be managed to regulate airflow and temperature control as recommended by the ASHRAE. The gym is service by an outdoor air ventilation system. Outdoor air ventilation will be used whenever possible in the building.
HIGH RISK SITUATIONS or COVID-19 related STUDENT ABSENCE
Special absentee arrangements (long-term absent work, instruction options, and teacher support - not full online learning) for high-risk students, students with high-risk family members, or students in quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19 can be discussed with the school area principal and teacher. PPCS recommends families have their physician review PPCS mitigation steps to help families determine the best decision for high-risk situations.
NON-HIGH RISK OR COVID-RELATED STUDENT ABSENCE
PPCS respects parent decisions out of concern for student safety in these challenging times. Please understand absences by students who are not in a high-risk or COVID-19 related situation will be managed as a regular absence regarding make up work being provided, they are not subject to special arrangements. Please contact the office to request basic absent work.